To Top

History

An organized effort to provide maternal and child health services commenced with the introduction of the Health Unit System in 1926. First such health unit was established in Kalutara with a Medical Officer of Health as the in charge. In 1965, Government accepted family planning as a national policy and it was integrated with the already developed Maternal and Child Health services provided by the Ministry of Health. Considering its national importance, in 1968, a separate division was established within the Ministry of Health to implement the programme throughout the country. This institution was initially designated as the Maternal and Child Health Bureau and was later renamed as the Family Health Bureau with an Assistant Director Maternal and Child Health as the head of the institution. The post of Assistant Director was upgraded to Director / Maternal and Child Health in 1986.

The first Director appointed was Dr Terence Perera. Since then, the following successors had led the institution to its present thriving status.

 

 

Dr Terence Perera
(1968-1970

Dr. S.Y.S.B. Hearat
(1971 - 1979)

Dr. R.A.S. Rabel
(1979 - 1981)


Dr. N.W. Vidyasagara
(1981 - 1986

Dr. Malani de Silva
(1986 - 1994)

Dr. K.P. Wickramasooriya
(1994 - 1998)


Dr. Vineetha Karunaratne
(1999 - 2008)

Dr. Deepthi Perera
(2009 - 2014)

 

Dr. Hemantha Benaragama
(2014 - 2016)


Dr.  Priyani Senadeera
(2017 - 2018)
   

 

Sign in to your account