Goals & Strategies
Promote health of women and their partners to enter pregnancy in optimal health, and to maintain it throughout the life course.
- Ensure that women of childbearing age and their partners receive a comprehensive package of pre-conception care.
- Address specific reproductive health issues of women and their partners throughout the life course.
- Address the reproductive health issues of women with special needs.
- Integrate relevant STD and HIV/AIDS services to MCH program.
- Strengthen partnership with other stakeholders who provide care for women.
Ensure a safe outcome for both mother and newborn through provision of quality care during pregnancy, delivery and post partum period
- Ensure quality maternal care (antenatal, intra-natal and postpartum) through appropriate systems and mechanisms in field and institutional settings
- Maintain optimal nutritional status of pregnant and post partum women.
- Ensure availability and accessibility of Emergency Obstetric Care facilities and an appropriate referral system.
- Enhance maternal and newborn services for vulnerable families and in emergency situation.
- Strengthen the surveillance system for maternal morbidity and mortality.
Ensure reduction of perinatal and neonatal morbidity and mortality through provision of quality care
- Institute evidence-based practices in newborn care in field and institutional settings.
- Ensure availability and accessibility to basic and advanced newborn care facilities
- Protect, promote and support breastfeeding practices with special emphasis in delivery settings.
- Strengthen the surveillance for perinatal and neonatal morbidity and mortality
Enable all children under five years of age to survive and reach their full potential for growth and development through provision of optimal care.
- Ensure the provision of quality child care services at both field and institutional settings.
- Maintain optimal nutritional status by implementing evidence based interventions; specifically ensuring exclusive breastfeeding for 6 completed months, followed by appropriate complementary feeding together with continuation of breastfeeding for two years and beyond, regular growth monitoring and promotion.
- Ensure evidence-based practices in the management of childhood illnesses.
- Strengthen the surveillance system on childhood morbidity and mortality.
- Optimize psychosocial development.
- Ensure age appropriate immunization.
- Ensure optimal oral health.
- Ensure adequate childcare services including nutrition during emergency situations
Ensure that children aged 5 to 9 years and adolescents realize their full potential in growth and development in a conducive and resourceful physical and psychosocial environment
- Strengthen partnerships between Ministries of Health and Education, other relevant stakeholders and communities for the implementation of a comprehensive child and adolescent health programme in school and community settings.
- Implement need based health education focusing on skill development
- Promote nutrition and healthy lifestyles among children and adolescents.
- Ensure access to child and adolescent friendly health services, including oral health services and counseling.
- Empower children and adolescents to make informed choices regarding their sexual and reproductive health issues.
- Empower parents, guardians and teachers in caring for children and adolescents
Enable children with special needs to optimally develop their mental, physical and social capacities to function as productive members of the society
- Integrate an appropriate program to address the health needs of children with special needs into the existing child health program.
- Strengthen the inter-sectoral collaboration among key stakeholders providing care for children with special needs.
Enable all couples to have a desired number of children with optimal spacing whilst preventing unintended pregnancies
- Ensure the availability and accessibility to quality modern family planning services.
- Address the unmet need for contraception.
- Ensure availability of sterilization services in institutions.
- Establish an appropriate system for post-abortion care.
- Ensure the uninterrupted availability of contraceptive commodities [Reproductive Health Commodity Security (RHCS)].
- Strengthen, rationalize & streamline services for sub-fertile couples.
To promote reproductive health of men and women assuring gender equity and equality
- Address gender issues related to reproductive health.
- Ensure an effective response from preventive and curative health sector for prevention and management of gender based violence issues.
- Incorporate sex disaggregated data in to the health management information system, so as to ensure gender equity and equality in reproductive health services.
- Promote compilation and appropriate management of data related to gender based violence within the health sector.
- Strengthen partnership within the resource network of organizations and persons actively involved in the prevention and management of gender based violence.
- Promote and enhance male participation in reproductive health care.
- Empower men and women to promote community mobilization towards prevention and management of gender based violence.
- Address reproductive health needs of migrant workers
Ensure that National, Provincial, District and Divisional level managers are responsive and accountable for provision of high quality MCH services.
- Ensure accountability and committed leadership to provide quality MCH services.
- Strengthen institutional capacity at National, Provincial, District and divisional levels to deliver quality MCH services.
- Ensure the availability of adequate resources and equitable distribution for quality MCH services.
- Ensure adherence to national policies, guidelines and practices to improve systems and services at all levels.
- Strengthen the FHB as the Centre for Excellence to provide national leadership in Maternal and Child Health.
- Ensure collaboration and partnership with professional bodies and relevant stakeholders.
Ensure effective monitoring and evaluation of MCH programme that would generate quality information to support decision making.
- Strengthen the Health Management Information System on MCH/FP
- Reinforce planning, monitoring and evaluation of MCH program
- Establish a network for MCH information sharing among relevant stakeholders
Promote research for policy and practice in MCH
- Generate and disseminate the evidence needed for policy formulation and practices in relation to MCH
- Establish a collaborative mechanism for MCH research development
Ensure sustainable conducive behaviours among individuals, families and communities to promote Maternal and Child Health.
- Strengthen BCC interventions to improve the MCH programme
- Promote mass media support for Maternal and Child Health
- Foster community empowerment and mobilization to sustain conducive behaviours in support of MCH
- Develop appropriate mechanisms for inter-sectoral co-ordination at all levels to strengthen BCC interventions in MCH