Maternal Morbidity, Mortality Surveillance Unit
Function of the unit
- Ensure that all maternal, deaths notified, investigated and reviewed at national and sub-national levels.
- Maintain a national level data bases on maternal deaths.
- Develop and implement “confidential” enquiry into maternal deaths.
- Establish and implement surveillance on severe acute maternal morbidity (SAMM)
- Establish a system to notify reproductive age female deaths.
- Strengthen the existing surveillance system to monitor antenatal and postnatal morbidity
- Establish and implement surveillance on birth defects.
- Develop linkages with other data bases such as Registrar General’s Department/ Medical Statistics unit to strengthen maternal, mortality and morbidity surveillance.